David Eatock Speaks Out
Posted on: December 1, 2016
David Eatock aged 40 has become the latest footballer to file a complaint to the police to say that he was abused by former Newcastle United youth coach George Ormond.
David Eatock told the BBC that he had been groomed by Ormond between the ages of 18 and 21 and that the abuse led to him leaving the club as “a shell” of his former self. He went to go onto say that he has lived with anxiety and depression for the past 10 years “because of what [Ormond] did to me” and now has to see a therapist.
This latest report only comes a day after, former Newcastle United footballer Derek Bell said he was abused hundreds of times by Ormond in the 1970s, while playing for the Montagu and North Fenham boys football club. Ormond was later convicted in 2002 to six years in prison for assaulting seven boys.
The latest allegations come after the NSPCC reported that its’ hotline – set up to support victims of sex abuse within football had received 860 calls in their first week of operation.
John Brown, who is the lead for the NSPCC on tackling sexual abuse suggested that some of the calls received were in regards to current abuse. He stated to the BBC that “”…It would be naïve to assume that all the concerns were in the past.”
Uppal Taylor Solicitors are specialist solicitors acting for victims of childhood abuse and maltreatment. If you wish to speak to a solicitor in confidence then please contact us.